Sunday, February 14, 2010

once upon a time...

well, I wanted to put a whole photo series of court being pregnant, then baby avery, then me being pregnant, and baby olivia, but well, I couldn't find all the pictures on my computer. so, anyway, here is the little story:

Once upon a time my best friend Courtney got pregnant. It was crazy, I couldn't believe it! But then I moved to Florida without ever meeting her little baby. One year later Franc and I moved to Atlanta, Georgia.

This whole moving constantly thing was hard friendship-wise. I mean, I LOVED new places, and new people. But it had been hard to find good friends since we had left all our friends from college back in Utah. Well, As it turned out the same year we moved to Atlanta, Courtney and Judd moved to Birmingham, Alabama (for law school).. And once we google-mapped it, we realized we were only 2 1/2 hours away from each other!!!!What? That was the closest I had lived to any of my good friends since we had moved away. She and I were ECSTATIC. Aaaaaand, I finally would be able to meet her little baby Avery!

Well, in October, 2009 I went to visit Courtney and Avery. Avery was 1 year old at the time and I fell in LOVE. Now, if you knew the old Katie, you knew I NEVER wanted kids. I felt like I was obligated to have them, but not because I really looked forward to the whole situation. Then I met Avery. Just one day spent with that little girl, and my best friend made me want a child of my own. Now, I had met a lot of little babies that year that made me think MAYBE I would want a kid at some point, but none that drove me to actually do the deed. I don't think it was just the cuteness of this little girl, but rather the fact that Courtney and I have so many similarities and I could see that if she enjoyed motherhood, while still maintaining her own identity, that I could too. She was able to balance motherhood with being an artist and didn't feel like her life had ended because she had a child (which is one thing I had always feared---besides poopy diapers).

That night I drove back to Atlanta and told Franc I wanted a baby. NOW. He was floored. He was confused because it was such a 180. well, needless to say, I got pregnant a couple weeks later and then 9months after that, Olivia came!

Courtney, Avery, and Judd came to meet Olivia a couple times after she was born, but Olivia wasn't very aware at the time. Last weekend we went to visit them again in Alabama, and this time Avery and Olivia became friends (okay well as much as a 2 yr old and a 6 month old CAN be). One day I will tell them this story, and I hope that they remain friends forever, just the way I hope to be with Courtney.

2 comments:

Caro is a line said...

I want to kiss her all over and blow on her tummy. She is SO cute. She looks so much more like the two of you all of the time. O, O livia

Courtney said...

oh Katie! That is the sweetest post I have ever read - I love you two so much - I can't even express! When ever I am the slightest bit lonely just reminding myself how close we are to each other gives me instant happiness! I hope our kids are friends forever too - (how could they not be coming from us!?) Have fun in Florida!