I was talking to someone today about picking the flute back up (I played in 6th grade, and then again in college, 3 semesters of lessons and theory in order to not take calculus or a foreign language. not that I didn't want to continue my high school French, but I was intimidated by all the returned missionaries, and long hours I would have to spend in the language labs). Anyway, I was talking to someone about this, and saying that I dreamt last night that I couldn't play the flute anymore, and she said, "oh it hasn't been that long has it? I mean how long ago were you in college?" I thought about it a second and said "well, I stopped my lessons Junior year of college, and that would be about hmmm, 4 years ago?" And I didn't think twice about it.
Fast forward to right now. I am sitting in my bed reteaching myself the flute (I do this by playing pieces I used to know and then looking at the placement of my fingers on the keys to see how to play each note. I had to do this when I took it back up in college. Only that time I was replaying my old 6th grade pieces such as songs from the "Little Mermaid" and "Jurassic Park," whereas this time I am playing Bach (my fave on the flute).
So I am sitting here, when all the sudden, I decide to really count how many years it has been since I was a junior in college and I realize that it has been 7 years!!!!! WHAT?? 7 years? I can't believe that. And I was so sure earlier it had been only 4! 7?!! I can't believe it. I am stunned. I mean, I know I am almost 28 (April 2), but still. seriously. crazy.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Ha! Time flies! :)
I used to play the flute too! I played for years, but then decided to focus on piano/art in college...and somehow still had to take years of foreign language because I didn't want to take math (I guess I didn't know music credits counted toward that!). I still pull out the flute periodically (usually when I'm the only one home). I also love Bach pieces for the flute!
Yup, I feel old also. I loved 28. enjoy it. Cherish it. Relish in being 28!
Wait, you could take music instead of Math?! I did Philosophy trying to escape it which was WAY WORSE! I would MUCH Rather have taken Piano!!! I am angered.
Anyway, when I talk to my siblings about the etiquette of text messaging while dating, I really feel old.
By the way, best Valentines ever! Wow! Way to go Franc!
Post a Comment