Friday, February 20, 2009

The smell of my mother on my hairdryer.

Every Sunday growing up I would hear and smell my mother getting ready for church. I loved the smell of her perfume. It varied sometimes, but eventually always came back to this scent: Emeraude. What? Haven't heard of it? Well if you stop by your local CVS or walgreens you can find it. Yes, my mother could afford fancier perfume, but this is the one she loved to wear. She was fond of the scent for reasons that I am. She remembers her grandmother always wearing it when she was young, and so she appropriated the scent for herself.

Well, when she came into town a couple weeks ago, some of the spray must have inadvertently fell onto my blowdryer, and now everytime I dry my hair I smell my mom. It brings a smile to my face everyday. I love my mom so much (we are BFFs), and the smell of her makes me feel closer. Maybe I should start wearing it myself....

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Katie,

I loved this post! It is amazing how something as simple as a scent can bring so many memories.

(My mom's favorite perfume is Estée Lauder "Beautiful" and while it is a little too flowery for me, I still love the smell because it is hers.)