Friday, September 19, 2008

YES!!!!!!!!!!!


I had been feeling like this cat for the past year and a half..... (f a t)

but now my pants are loose!

For those of you who didn't know... Franc and I decided to cut back our sugar intake to once a week. That's right. My mom did it long ago when she wanted to lose the weight from all her pregnancies and the weight stayed off (until she had another one), so I decided to try it! This is what we did: we ate ANYTHING we wanted (chips, fries, pasta, whatever) except we didn't eat things with sugar added, unless the sugar was from pure fruit juice. (Okay we cheated with condiments.) We ate lots of fruit and fruit-sweetened things when we craved sugar. BUT one day a week we ate ALL THE SUGAR WE WANTED. That's right! And you actually lose the craving for sugar. (This coming from the world's biggest sweet-tooth. I had a huge drawer of candy last year in my desk, and I ate ice cream cones and cake ALL THE TIME.)

No one thought I could do it, which is actually why Franc did it. He bet me he could go longer without sugar (but hello... I love to win and hate to lose, so the competition spurred me on).

Anyway, we have been doing it for about 7 weeks and Franc and I have both started to notice our clothes getting loose! I had pants and shorts that I was squeezing into for the past year, and now they are loose!!!!! I almost threw them away! I have lost about 10 lbs (and I haven't been exercising at all- though I should be) and Franc has lost 18! We lost most of the weight in the first month, but just this week we both noticed a sudden drop. YES!!!!!!!! I am excited. All I wanted was to be the size I was before I got married, and now I am:)

8 comments:

Alice said...

Hey Jared and I started that a few months ago. I immediately lost my 8lbs of Switzerland weight. It was hard at first and we both went through major sugar withdrawal but now we don't even crave it. Way to go. Keep it up! We also try to have 3/4 of our plate be vegetables. It works.

Cristy said...

I always do that for a few months after the babies (actually, I just completely cut it out, and then after I lose the weight slowly allow myself to weekends and stuff. I can't hold out forever!) and it always works well. Unfortunately, I've had to start it right now in my third-trimester (when I want it the most) because of the Gestational Diabetes thing. Actually, it's only the first 2 to 3 days that's hard. Then you just kind of get used to it. I notice Salt is less desirable too.

blueeyedfreckle said...

really? that's so cool that it has worked for both of you!

ed and brooke said...

Wow Congratulations! I love that feeling. The picture of the cat is fantastic.

Rina said...

Good job Katie! That's great! I should take a lesson from you. I work out a bunch, but sure don't stop myself from eating ice cream and cookies and donuts....

Ayme S. R. said...

I'm eating candy as I read that, and now I feel tubby. :<

one day, I'll try that, even though I'm a chocolate-holic.

The Powells said...

that is so great!!! that is what i will be doing next spring after this baby!

Lorilee said...

you did not have 10 lbs. to lose missy, but I'm so jealous. I think I'm really going to try it.... sounds like something I could do. (that is, after I finish the apple crisp i made tonight, and the mint oreo's that cody will finish off if i wait)... but after that, right? :)