Yesterday I was driving home, listening to the radio. A song called "Come Out and Play" by the Offspring (circa 1990's) came on and I began to reminisce on the days when I first started buying tapes and cds. Its funny to think that back in those days I couldn't just look up a song or a band online and hear the music first. or download it. And these days I rarely even do that, because I actually don't seek out new music very often. I only get new stuff if someone buys me a cd, or burns me something. I have become lazy with music, and I don't really make the time for it. (Basically after I stopped going to school and stopped working at Anthro, I haven't had people to just tell me about new bands, etc.)
Anyway, back to my initial exploration into the world of (non-classical) music. When I was in 7th grade I didn't really know what was cool to listen to, and I had no idea about any bands except the oldies my dad played. So, in an effort to become cooler or more in tune (haha) I started listening to the radio and trying to memorize the songs. The oddest thing, which brings me back to the Offspring, is that when I heard people talking a lot about a band/concert/tape/cd, I would go out and buy it. This is how I bought my weezer cd, smashing pumpkins, the Offspring, Better than Ezra (a boy I liked/ my first kiss at art camp liked this group), Dave Matthews Band, and later: Wu Tang Clan, Grave Diggaz, and some crappier cds I don't really remember the name of. I was pretty lucky that most of the music I bought was pretty good, and I still like to this day. Otherwise can you imagine? I would spend $16 on a cd that probably took me 5 hours of babysitting to earn, and what if it was crap? My method was silly, but I didn't know any other way. I wanted to know the songs everyone else knew, and have something to talk about in regards to music, besides the Beach Boys and the Beatles (whom I OF COURSE love, but was embarassed about in 7th and 8th grade).
Just wanted to write these thoughts down.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
You do have a wide and multifarious musical palate. I believe it's so diverse partially due to your refusal to listen to the same song over and over and over again. Good luck with the baby and whatever media he/she chooses to watch/listen to ad nauseam. I love you Katie. You're the best!
HAHa! Loved this post! First of all, I became obsessed with the Beatles in 8th grade, I think in REVOLT to all the music people were listening too (although I had a thing for the Cranberries... Zombie eh eh eh) I was "Music cool" until I had my kids. They really do change everything.
First, I had no idea you did that in 9th grade...if only we discussed that at the time! I always thought of you as knowing what was "in"...
Second, my idea of great music growing up was Barbara Streisand, the Pointer Sisters, Billy Joel, Bette Midler, and Broadway Showtunes. I then found DMB and thought I KNEW cool. Silly Shira.
I meant 7th grade.
Post a Comment