Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Decay, Pattern, and Language (my trip to Potugal and Spain)

I just got back from a trip to Portugal and Spain (and NYC before and after)for a total of 15 days. I saw some of the most amazing architecture with my personal favorite elements, pattern and decay. I love a decaying wall with the layers of time chipping off. I salivate (figuratively) over the visual textures they create. I was thinking about why I enjoy it so much, and decided it is because you don't see much of that here in the states. Sure there are dilapidated buildings, but they tend to be extremely ugly, industrial, and not old enough to have this kind of decay. I noticed this beautiful wall decay in Guatemala and Honduras also.

And pattern... Lisbon had all of these apartment buildings with tiled facades. They never ceased to excite me. I took picture after picture of them, and have now decided that if I ever have my own house, I want to tile the facade. I just need to get my hands on some some beautifully "weathered" (dirty) decaying ones... Anyways, so my travels took me to PORTUGAL: Faro, Villamoura, Quateira, LISBON (my favorite) and SPAIN: Sevilla.


The wierd thing I discovered about Portuguese is that it sounds like a mixture between French, Spanish, English, and Ukranian! And when they speak in English it sounds like an Eastern block version/accent of the language (like the Ukranian guy on EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED). Not what I expected at all, and very different from the Brazilian Portuguese I had heard. If you ever get a chance to go to Portugal, I would highly recommend Lisbon.

5 comments:

Francisco said...

I really enjoyed your pictures. That trip sounds exciting. After you showed me the pictures, I dreamt all night that I was in Greece, looking for the TELIO GYRO (PERFECT GYRO). I love you!

Shauna said...

Thanks for sharing, Katie! Awesome--just like YOU!

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie! I loved your essay on decay and pattern - you are such a smart girl and a fantastic artist. But everybody knows that! I hope francisco finds his perfect gyro and that you two live happily ever after. I am so prooud of you! love, MOM xoxoxoxoxox

Meredith said...

Katie--
Isn't Spain great? I could move there. I loved the pictures.

fishnutz said...

Hey Katie!
I read your email to class today (B4 sans KO)and they were excited to hear that you were back from Europe. A couple kids wrote down your blog address so you might hear from them.
I enjoyed your interpretation of the "type" of decay on the walls. I noticed the same thing in Mexico and also thought it appealing. Our stucco and foam houses don't have a prayer of ever aquiring such a patina.
We miss you at Highland! You're such a great teacher...I hope it's in your future.
CJ